Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Behind the scenes, leadership training and spending quality time

Wednesday, 10:39pm – Paranaque City, Fort, Mandaluyong, Philippines
Events of tdoay:
  • Metro Ministries volunteering and experience in cutting almost up to 1000 sticker names for kids that are sponsored. The Holy Spirit gave me insight of appreciating tedious, repetitive work allowing to fully enjoy serving God and His children that have intentions in building His kingdom and spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. All the people at Metro Ministries have such a great, loving heart from God and you can see and feel it. You will naturally be attracted and want to be around people like that. Pastora Neng, Sheila, Amor, Mike, Jezer, and Daryl are awesome. My new buddy Kevin was a great companion today for me to learn Filipino and him in learning English.
    DSCN2455
  • ENLI (Every Nation Leadership Institute) classes and not being able to sign-up. God has shown me that if He doesn’t want me to do something, often He doesn’t line up for the event or thing to push through. I called the main office multiple times and couldn’t get in contact with the person in charge, I asked numerous people if I can join these classes and who I should talk to, and finally the person in charge let me know it was not possible to sign up. It was in my heart to sign up as situations have come up for me to lead so I felt compelled to get formal training in leadership principles. The Holy Spirit let me know it’s not my time and that I can learn along the way in real life applications, that I am fine with what I’m doing right now and confirmed that if God doesn’t want me in a certain place, the things that need to line up for it to happen will not line up.
  • Holy Spirit giving insight that there is a different purpose for me at this time. The leadership classes better suited for others. My talent is to work in direct connection with people in communicating and providing materials for visuals, also coordinating small tasks
  • Every Nation seminar with Pastor Paul Barker : Teaching Effectiveness. Great material and presentation provided to help teach more effectively. Basics of teaching truths are authenticity (is the material relevant and important), clarity (is the material clear, organized and concise), and connection (is the teacher and content able to relate to the student, understand the student’s perspective and engage them in creative ways).
    DSCN2445
    Three important aspects I learned were: (1) Review: concept of coming back and asking your students to reiterate or tell you what they have learned. This will show you if there was retention, understanding and a connection; (2) Repetition: we tend to learn something when it’s constantly repeated, reminded or reviewed; and (3) Visuals or objects: use of these provide a powerful aid besides words. These points lead to the importance of presentation. If you don’t present the materials in a creative, interesting way, students will not be able to engage in it fully.
    DSCN2448
  • Not able to attend small group and spending quality time with a friend. After the seminar, I usually have bible study (small group) with my friends from Victory Church at the Fort. For the 2 months since I’ve lived here, this is the first time I have missed bible study. I don’t like to miss them as it’s important for me to be able to hang out with these friends and share our perspectives on what we are talking about and to encourage each other in whatever we are going through. But for now, Moina and I couldn’t catch a taxi tonight in order to get there on time, so we just ate and hung out. I dragged her around all day today to do stuff that I committed to so it was nice to just hang out and talk with her.
    DSCN2462

No comments: