Thursday, December 4, 2008

Overcoming temptation and prayer of the righteous

Wednesday night was small group (Bible study) and a trip to the hotel The Peninsula in Makati for my friend Camille’s birthday get together.

DSCN3191
Are my shoes glowing? hahaha

Verses in small group I will remember and hold close to my heart are:

1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLV)
“The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.”


James 5:16 (NIV)
“6Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”


These both are important to me because the first one about temptation has helped me all throughout my 5 months so far as a Christian. A brother Dino in the group also shared that he has been able to refer to this verse as well that helps him. I emailed him this about a month ago and it brought a great joy that he has kept it close to him. Thank you Lord.

The second is important because being able to share my life with others of past darkness or even current sins helps me deal with them and not allow the sins to condemn or keep me in bondage. Confessing sins to God and to brothers, praying for forgiveness and repenting, and having brothers help pray for you always helps to overcome temptations. Thank you Lord for your grace and for brothers and sisters you have brought into my life.

Coming across this second verse increased my passion to move forward with God and being obedient because I have come to know this truth intimately. If I am righteous or a brother or sister is righteous, the more our prayers for each other get answered and this is yet another one of the several things I love God so much for.

DSCN3183
Camille, Julianne, Nino, Pao, Carisse and Liz at The Peninsual in Makati

No comments: