Sunday, March 29, 2009

Choosing God every day of your life, in every aspect

Sunday, 10:40pm – Mandaluyong, Tiger City, Philippines
This is the 7th day my brother Johnathon and Moina have been here in the Philippines. We have been traveling doing different things from going to eat at restaurants, going out to a club or a mall, and recently just visiting with Moina’s cousins to eat. From going out to so many different places, doing things a little bit different from my normal routine, I have come to see there have been a few more temptation than usual since we have been doing things that I would consider more worldly. From the money that is spent on traveling, food and amusement to the people that we are hanging around with.

I have been brought to reflect on a few things:

  1. To not be self-righteous
  2. It is all the more important for those that don’t know God to be there as much as opportunity allows and to how God leads the situation and you by the Holy Spirit
  3. Do all we can to choose God everyday of our lives to serve and to obey all his commands


DSCN6257
The Sword of the Spirit - the Word of God, his Bible. I cherish this more than my daily bread.


DSCN6054
Serving the Body of Jesus - Hosting games for the youth at Victory Church north triangle - Back to the Bible


DSCN5878
Working in the fields - Spending time with the children in a nearby community - Barangay Arboretum

All in all I have come to understand that it is entirely by God’s grace that we are able to function on a daily. Even while I didn’t have an intimate relationship or know God’s Word, he protected me and allowed me to learn from my mistakes. I don’t resent anything of the past and from all that has been experienced, each and every one of those situations has been used to build my character up to serve God and people on a daily, and for me to be able to witness how Jesus has changed and is working in my life. Just a list of some things that I do now and what has changed:

  1. I read the Bible daily
    I feel awkward if I don’t get to read, similar to the feeling you get if you have just left your house and have forgotten something at home that you know you are forgetting but just can’t remember what it is. Or an imbalanced feeling that I get
  2. I pray daily, I pray all day no matter what I am doing
    Like brushing your teeth or taking a shower, or eating a meal in order to function, I don’t forget to pray in the morning to give thanks to the Lord and to ask him to guide me and to pray for others that I care for and love and for those that I don’t know in other ministries around the world, as well as the strength for the church and brothers and sisters everywhere. At night time I pray about the sins I have committed, asking for forgiveness and repenting, forgiving those that have sinned against me, and just thank the Lord for all the blessings of today from what God provides or for the lessons learned and to ask for insight and wisdom of every and all situations that I can receive and impart to others.

    Throughout the day I try not forget to pray before making any decisions, from the seemingly smallest in terms of deciding what to eat to the seemingly biggest as to where I should go and whom I am to spend time with. All day I am asking God for strength or discernment for a specific task, I pray under my breath before I speak to an individual or speaking before a group and I pray constantly as I am walking or in passing to another area or as soon as I feel temptation to sin: in pride, in immorality, in anger, in judging…anything. I pray to God all day for everything I recognize as such a blessing, even in seemingly negative circumstances. They are seemingly negative as I understand any hardships, challenges or people that sin against me is an opportunity to learn and an opportunity to apply God’s Word.
  3. In everything I see God is in it and created it
    I constantly find myself reflecting and understanding God has created everything and everyone. I never forget the skies and earth that God created. I constantly reflect on the people and the things that are inspired into creation such as technology, buildings, structures, social constructs and culture. I realize all comes from God and it amazes me the myriad of things God has created and interconnected. This makes me never forget God and allows me never to forget that he is in everything.
  4. I care and love others like never before
    God has blessed my heart and continues to open it to those around me. This is what I have been most thankful for besides the first and foremost of Jesus life, death and resurrection; God’s gift to us and his love, grace and mercy on our lives and souls. I thank so much that I can truly love and know him, and truly love others and desire to love so greatly.

Thank you Lord for your love. Thank you so much for saving me. I pray you continue to open my heart to love and choose you all the days of my life, and that I can serve you as much as you want me to, and I can love you and love everyone you connect me with to greater than I can ever imagine. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

No comments: