Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Metro Ministries training and speaking in tongues

Wednesday, 12:31am : Paranaque City, Mandaluyong, Philippines
Just got back from Metro Ministries, kid ministry training in Paranaque City. They do such a great job at organizing, providing top notch training and equipping the youth from the churches what is needed for them to prepare and have materials ready for the Saturday ministries around Manila. You can also see their hearts and love for others and God. It feels really good to be around people that have a good heart, you can’t help but smile and feel good and know that God is in that.

One thing that struck me as weird though was I felt disconnected in group prayer. Holy Spirit has let me know that it’s time in my walk where He will recede a little so I grow in faith not by feeling His presence, but how I learn and take in lessons around me. Something that was brought to my attention in the past few days was speaking in tongues, where the person is filled with the Holy Spirit and it’s as if they are speaking in a foreign language. I asked a brother in Christ what it was and what it meant and he said he speaks in tongues. I was interested to see and so God brought me to Metro Ministries tonight and I was able to witness it.

There was a visiting female pastor from Malaysia that delivered a great message, citing Ephesians 3:14-21 and giving inspiration to the +40 youth that were there that have committed to doing Sunday School activities/message/Gospel to kids in their neighborhood on Saturday. This is similar to what is run in Tondo/Smokey Mountain that I visited about a month ago. The training ended in prayer and the pastor and a few other believers started praying/speaking in tongues. This is the first time I witnessed it so I was a little taking back but I quickly prayed to God to find out what I should learn and to fill me with insight and wisdom. I will wait and pray about it more but also have expressed to my mentor Rocky if he can share more information about the subject. Rocky has been great on providing information and insight on all questions I have had ever since I met him about 2 months. Thank you Rocky, I love you brother.

The kids ministry training is great. It's awesome to see a group so well organized and with leadership and encouragement for all the youth and volunteers in the participating churches. You can really see how the kids will be receptive and how engaging it is to see a skit with people in costumes, and for it to be mixed with someone explaining what the skit was about, what the take-aways are, and what was important for the kids to hold on to.

View some pictures and video below to see what they train others to do and what the kids of Smokey Mountain see.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanregalado/sets/72157608262073597/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanregalado/sets/72157607397567620/






"Whatever you believe in your heart, you will speak it."
Sheila from Metro Ministries, on encouraging the youth to have courage when spreading the Gospel to kids

"Preach the gospel boldly. That may be the last time that that kid may hear the gospel."
Sheila from Metro Ministires, on explaining to the youth that kids are dying, it's part of how they live in the area. Kids are poor and some are malnourished or have disease or die at a very early age. We do not know when they will pass, so all the more an urgency should be in our hearts. She shared with us that a child came up to her I think a week before and said that one of her friends passed away.

1 comment: